Saturday, January 14, 2017

truett paul's birth story.

i love a good birth story! and with tru being 2 months old and all i guess it's about time to type this sucker out. time has just snuck right by. yesterday i seriously looked at my calendar and counted how many weeks old truett is because strangers in the stores are always asking me and i didn't feel like a great mom being like, "....ummmmm.. like 6 or 7 weeks? (it's actually 8 and some change) he was born in november?" it's hard to keep up! i've got a lot on my plate right now! i felt like the transition from 1 to 2 was great- bitter sweet- but great! and the transition from 2 to 3.. pssshhhh! a breeze!!! but this 4th child has made it feel like we have about 57 children at least. it's just a little nuts around here. good nuts, like the chocolate covered ones. but still nuts. i know, i know.. you're like GET TO THE BIRTH STORY. so we will..

truett had been measuring big. consistently 1-2 weeks bigger than i was. which isn't too surprising because i do tend to have big babies, but it was still large enough for my doctor to say that i could deliver him a week early if i wanted to. and i was really torn because this is (maybe) my last baby and i kind of wanted to experience the whole going into labor thing again and birthing him naturally again but i also didn't want him to be 10 lbs. and i was really starting to be uncomfortable physically and mentally. and his due date was thanksgiving and lest you forgot, i had to make arrangements for my other 3 children when i went into labor and sooo it was looking like it was going to be much more convenient if i was induced.

we scheduled an induction for thursday, november 17th. the boys had mdo. i made arrangements for them to be picked up by my friend tara. bryant and dad had taken off work and everything was situated. then the 16th they call me and are like, "we don't have room for you." and i'm like... nope. and they're like, "call back at 3 in the morning and see if we have room." GREAT. then they call back and say, "actually call back at 8." and i'm starting to freak out because i had my heart set on having this baby on that thursday and they're saying it may not happen.. so then my actual doctor calls me and i'm like "shoot straight with me here doc.. am i coming in tomorrow or what?" and he told me that i was definitely coming in but it probably wouldn't be until after lunch.. so that whole day and then the next morning was a big back and forth of can i come in? call back in two hours. take the boys to mdo. go to walmart and buy house shoes. can i come in? call back in two hours. start putting together a toy box. walk around the house.. can i come in? call back in two hours. and then they called me back! and they said come on in! so we did.



we got to the hospital at 11:25. the plan was for me to have my water broken and try to induce labor that way. i was already dilated to a 3 so they broke my water at 12:05. well of course i wasn't in active labor and all along i had thought i'd be getting there at like 5 that morning so i would be done or at least have a good start by lunch time and here i was just getting started. so at 12:15 the nurse asked me what i wanted to do and i chose to start some pitocin to kickstart some contractions. am i not the most patient person in all the land or what?! i also stood up for a good part of the day just trying to get gravity to do it's thing. after a little while on the pitocin my contractions started coming on their own so they stopped the medicine and just let me labor. my pain was super manageable. and bryant kept warning the nurses saying, "you can't trust her. her tolerance for pain is super high." ha!







so at 5:45 i was dilated to 6 and had been there for a while. i had been standing or sitting upright in the old school PE butterfly stretch for most of the day. so they kicked my pitocin back on to try and get some more intense contractions. and they were more intense for sure. but i was still rating my pain at a 3 around 7:00. i never know how they want you to rate that? they say a 10 is getting your arm chopped off.. but i've never had my arm chopped off so that's a confusing metric for me. so i said it was a 3.









my parents had been there and my friend cayte (who took all these fancy pictures!) and of course bryant. and everyone was pretty chill and just waiting it out and talking and stuff but i remember around this time things were starting to hurt more and when my contractions came, i wanted everyone to be quiet. regular conversation in the background of labor was super annoying to me. princess lindsey jo! i knew it was getting close. cayte was rubbing my back. and bryant was warning nurses. the nurse tech brought in the big rolly table of stuff they use to birth babies and it was all wrapped in blue plastic or it was blue and then it was draped in a blue sheet. and she told us "don't touch anything on this table that's blue." and bryant was like, "it's all blue?" and she was like, "yep." hahaha!



at 7:45 they checked me and i was dilated to 8. i told them then that if it was going to be much longer i wanted an epidural. and everyone just kinda shook their head like.. that's not happening. the nurse called my doctor so he could head to the hospital. aaaannnnddd i started feeling like i needed to be on my side. which is how i felt when i was having abe. so here i am on my side, clinging to the rail on my bed and i'm like, "i've got to push!" and the nurse is like, no no no don't push! just breath. and bryant's like, IF SHE SAYS SHE'S GOT TO PUSH SHE IS GOING TO PUSH! and i'm like I'M PUSHING! and the nurse is like hoo hoo hoo just breath don't push. and well, that's not easy to do. i tried. i legitimately tried to breath and not push but it just wasn't happening. and then there came a point where i realized truett's head was pretty much out and i needed to roll over onto my back and finish having him. with bryant, my mom, cayte, and two nurses in the room. without anything being "ready" and my doctor still not at the hospital. truett was born at 7:57.









8 lb. 10 oz. 21 inches long. not tiny, especially for being a week early! and he was sooo purple. like, is he ok? purple. he just came so fast once he got going that he had a lot of bruising.



his hair had a golden tint and his eyebrows were completely blonde. lighter than the other boys have been! so he may be my real blondie. he was definitely my grossest messiest baby, just covered in goo. and his little ear was bent in half. it has since popped back up to normal ear status.



my doctor came in a little bit after he was born and delivered my placenta which hurt way way more than delivering truett. it was kinda stuck in there so he was really having to push my belly because i was starting to bleed a little too much. once that was all situated i nursed truett and we face timed the boys. they were with my friend tara and when she asked them if they wanted to stay up and wait for truett to be born so they could facetime him isaac henry said, "i would wait all night to meet him!" then we ate a late dinner of cracker barrel- turkey and dressing and all the fixin's! i was starving!! i hadn't eaten all day except the granola bar my dad had in his bag that i scarfed down when the nurse wasn't looking..













the next day, the circus came to town. and they all just loved him. they also loved the buttons on my bed and the cable tv.










we had a few more visitors that day and then friday night, we went home with our sweet little caboose! (probably.)    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...